Tuesday, April 9, 2013

10km Run

On Sunday the 7th of April I ran the 10km run in the city of Zurich. For me it has been a really nice and new experience.
I have always loved sports but I have never really enjoyed running long distances for a long period of time. With a friend in my grade I have decided to take the chance and challenge ourself. The month before the race I started to train myself constantly every week. I usually used my Fridays, after school, to go out and run for a few hours in the woods around Zumikon. This gave me the chance to try different grounds and steepness. The training on a variety of paths helped me to get more ready for the final race and on the day of the run that gave its tangible results. 
While preparing for the race I was brought closer to some events in the "running" history and I have found out about the many doping events that have occurred. This made me think about the ethics that has to be respected while running a race. I thought about the unfairness of unfairly advantaging yourself in disfavor of the other runners. Considering the amount of time I have dedicated to my preparation I realized how bad I would feel I would have founded out that people had been cheating.
I found this experience very interesting and I am definitely looking for doing it again next year, maybe involving more people because it is an event that really involves you personally and makes you learn to understand yourself better. You definitely need to know when you need to stop and rest otherwise it will be really hard to get to the end and not to wake up with sore muscles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment